You know him as the first presidents of the United States, one of the founding fathers, commander during the American Revolutionary War, and the face of the dollar bill. There is no question that George Washington left his mark on many things in many ways. To add to his fame, he was also a man credited with many “firsts” and “onlys”. Here is a brief overview of some of them, as well as some other interesting facts about this great individual.
American Revolution: http://www.armorvenue.com/old-west—colonial.html
- George Washington was the only president to receive a unanimous Electoral College vote and his second inaugural address is the shortest recorded with only 135 words.
- George Washington was the only president who didn’t reside in Washington D.C.
- George Washington was the only founding father to free his slaves. All 124 of his slaves were granted liberty in his will and he even left them money to live on for years to come. What a nice guy!
Deluxe George Washington Boxed Set:
- Pineapples and Brazil nuts were George Washington’s top foods of choice.
- At the age of 57, all of George Washington’s teeth were pulled out. He must have become very fond of soups and jello after that! Also, his first set of dentures was made of cow’s teeth and his second set was made of hippopotamus ivory.
- Rather than having institutionalized education, George Washington was educated by his brother and father
- Having a keen love of horses, George Washington was a master rider.
- Could we say germ phobia? George Washington never shook hands with people. The reason for this is a mystery yet to be uncovered!
- Contrary to the customary practice of men wearing powdered wigs back in the day, George Washington did not engage in this.
- At age 14, George Washington joined the British Royal Navy.
George Washington Collection Framed Set:
- George Washington farmed marijuana and advocated its use and growth. However, during his time, this plant was used industriously for hemp and soil stabilization rather than for recreational use. Thus, it should be stated for the record that Washington was not a pot head!
- Surprisingly, George Washington enjoyed peace and quiet and disliked politics! Apparently he chose the wrong career for this lifestyle! He was documented saying to a friend that he must “bid adieu to happiness” as “public life will be a more distressing one than any I have known yet.”
- George Washington’s renown was left with his name going to 1 U.S. state, 1 capital city, 33 counties, 7 mountains, 9 colleges, and 121 post offices, as well as his image appearing on the quarter and the dollar. Indeed, he boasts a pretty impressive legacy!
For our collection of gifts, armor, and weapons inspired by Washington and other great American leaders, visit: http://www.armorvenue.com/